This course is designed to equip participants with some basic skills, knowledge and practical abilities to be an effective and efficient supervisor or manager in the laboratory and provide strategies they can use to deal with the challenges of leading a laboratory team.
”The best course I have attended in both content and length. So engaging and so relevant.”
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- describe their personal brand
- develop their elevator pitch
- complete a personal SWOT analysis
- uncover their blind spots using the Johari Window
- discover their own leadership style
- define their values, goals and purpose
- manage work priorities
- explain the essentials of leadership
- describe and use Situational Leadership®
- demonstrate leadership traits
- identify the stages of team development
- role-model leadership behaviours
- deal with team dysfunctions
What you will learn
Key course areas include leadership versus management, effective communication and motivating your team. In addition, sound planning and decision-making, setting achievable goals and, importantly, managing conflict and difficult behaviour.
Overall, how to best support staff in their roles by developing a leadership style and approach. You will learn about effective leadership in the role of supervisor and/or manager in the laboratory; the best way to motivate your team, effective time management and setting goals and measuring progress.
Who should do the course?
Leading in the Laboratory is ideal for laboratory team members and those who aspire to become team leaders and managers within the laboratory.